A damaged or broken back tooth is not only a serious oral health issue, but also an aesthetic concern that can make you feel uncomfortable or embarrassed.
If you’re in this situation, dental onlays are the restorative procedure that can help you achieve a natural, glowing smile.
- Perfect for situations when a dental filling is not enough, but a dental crown is not needed.
- Dental onlays are a durable and reliable solution for decayed, damaged or cracked teeth.
- Tooth onlays are stain resistant and provide long term protection for your natural tooth.
What are dental onlays?
Dental onlays are restorative solutions that cover the cusps of the teeth.
Dental onlays are a form of indirect tooth restoration, meaning that the piece is made outside the mouth, after the measurements taken in advance.
Dental onlays are recommended for weakened and compromised teeth.
For example, teeth with cavities, teeth that have chips or cracks as a result of an accident, or teeth that have recently had root canal treatment.
In certain situations, they can be an alternative to dental fillings.
Modern onlays are made from porcelain, which is not only a durable material, but also a natural solution that provides seamless results.
Onlays blend in with the rest of the teeth and is a more conservative option to a crown.
Benefits of Dental Onlays
Teeth onlays are one of the most popular restorative dentistry services, thanks to their versatility and efficiency:
- They cover the damage located at the cusp of the tooth, so that you can smile and eat with confidence.
- They save more of your natural tooth and protect it from fractures and infections in the long run.
- Dental onlays look and feel like your natural tooth. You will not notice any difference in terms of colour, and you will be able to chew normally.
- They are the perfect middle ground between fillings and dental crowns.
- The dental onlay fitting is a minimally invasive procedure.
- Onlays require little recovery time and you won’t have to make drastic dietary changes.
- With proper care and maintenance, dental onlays can last for many years.
Am I a good candidate for dental onlays?
At West House Dental, we believe in a personalised approach to restorative dentistry, which is why we take the time to listen to each of our patients and recommend a solution that matches their needs and lifestyle.
You may be a good candidate for dental onlays if:
- You have one or more teeth that have become weakened due to chipping and cracking.
- A filling is not enough for your particular case, but the damage isn’t as extensive as to require a crown either.
- You want a restorative solution that also protects your natural tooth and prevents damage in the long run.
- You have recently had root canal treatment on a back tooth and are worried about it breaking.
If you’re not sure what restorative solution is right for your case, our staff is always at your disposal with a consultation.
Call now to schedule an appointment at our clinic in London and together we will walk through all the details of dental onlays to establish if this is the best solution for your oral health.