This globally well-known dish is easy to make and packed with flavour. It looks gorgeous too.
Commonly perceived as Spanish cuisine, Paella originates more specifically from Valencia. Indeed, its name is the Valencian word for “frying pan.”
Paella is versatile – though it is traditionally made with meat, there are a number of popular variations and one such example is Paella de marisco (seafood paella), which replaces meat with seafood.
Our very own Dr Telmo Iceta makes a wonderful seafood paella that the West House Dental family go nuts for. His recipe notably uses sustainably sourced langoustines – the UK lands a staggering 85% of all the langoustines caught from the North Sea, giving this dish a surprisingly British edge.
You will need
- 250g raw tiger prawns (unshelled)
- 500g squid, cut into rings
- 1 langoustine per person
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 1 red pepper
- 4 or 5 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 500g short-grain rice
- 500ml fish stock
- Olive oil
- Pan-fry the squid, prawns and langoustines over moderate heat until cooked through and then set them aside for later
- In another pan, stir-fry the garlic, onion, and red pepper in olive oil.
- When the garlic and onion are turning a soft golden colour (don’t burn them!), add the chopped tomatoes to the mixture.
- Stir in the rice, approximately one handful per person, then add the seafood you prepared in Step 1 to the rice and mix it all together.
- Prepare the fish stock and pour most of it into the rice. It should be very hot. Add a small amount of salt as well, though not too much as seafood is naturally quite salty.
- Leave to simmer. Check it after a while as you want the rice to be cooked well and for all the water to be gone. If the dish becomes too dry before the rice can cook, then you can add the rest of the stock and leave it again.
- Once the rice is cooked and all the water is gone, take the dish off the heat and let it rest for a while before serving. Enjoy!
The most gentle yet thorough clean I have ever had!
Amazing service! Very thorough, professional and painless.
My teeth have never felt so lovely. I can’t stop looking at them!